Sunday, January 13, 2013

Formative Inspiration

I was thinking the other day about what books had the greatest formative influence on my writing. These aren’t necessarily my favorite books (okay, most are still right up there), but more the ones that left a lasting impression during my most impressionable years. They established tastes in genre, characters, and scope. Here are a few of the heavy hitters and the reasoning behind each:

Dragonlance Chronicles (Margaret Weis and +Tracy Hickman) - First read in my late grade school years, this was my real introduction to fantasy after dabbling in D&D with my friends for a couple years (the red boxed set). It read like the most epic, coherent game imaginable, with the rules practically establishing the framework for the story. What I really stuck with me from the story, however, was how the death of major characters raised the stakes for everyone else. If the authors could kill Flint and Sturm, who else might die before the dust finally settled?

Hitchhiker’s “Trilogy” (Douglas Adams) - Don’t think much needs to be said about this one. In a sense, it influenced me away from ever trying to write anything humorous, as I would inevitably hold it up to this standard and immediately toss my drivel. Can’t overstate how much I loved these books, though, and how they allowed me to take everything in life a little less seriously...as it should be.

Riftwar Saga (Raymond Feist) - Read this series while in junior high and it immediately became my favorite series of books, necessitating a couple of re-reads. I loved the development of Pug, struggling between highs and lows as a magician’s apprentice. The series managed to balance some pretty epic power creep between Pug and Tomas by shifting focus to Arutha and Jimmy later in the series. The series instilled in me the importance of epic action set pieces and great ensemble character development.

Snow Crash (+Neal Stephenson) - I read this one in high school, after re-shelving it a few times while on the job at the public library. One paragraph in, I was thinking to myself “whoa.” By the end of the first chapter, I adored it, but feared the rest of the book couldn’t possibly live up to the beginning. As I finished the book, I flipped back to page one and started again - the first and only time I’ve ever done that. There are so many things about this book that are difficult to pull off, and yet Stephenson managed it brilliantly - satire, mythology, action, and cool. If there was one aspect of the book I would call out as a takeaway, it would be “internal consistency.” The book was unlike anything I’d previously read, but its own universe was so brilliantly realized that I never once felt like I was slipping out of the story.

While putting together this list, I tried to think of any little known work I could call out. Alas, there wasn’t much that came to mind, or at least to which I could recall the title. There was one book involving kids trapped in a three dimensional maze like lab rats who had to engage in arbitrary rituals to get food. Another I can distinctly recall the title, yet nothing of the plot - Surfing Samurai Robots. Maybe that is just a lesson in the importance of finding the right title?

Anyone else out there have some good formative reads to share?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good list so far. I would have to add The Chronicles of Narnia (taught me allegory, once I finally realized it), as well as the Wrinkle in Time series, most specifically that particular book in itself.

If we're sticking with the fantasy/sci-fi genre, I have to add David Eddings Belgariad & Mallorean, which taught me that you CAN write with humor...just don't try too hard. Have good situational humor and characters who have a strong sense of irony and wit, and you'll be fine.

I would also throw in Terry Brooks's Shanara series, which taught me that epic battles are possible to do well, but that it's what happens on the small scale that is ultimately priority.

Oh, and Stephen King. I know that's not a particular series or book, both with his covert and overt examples and advice, I feel like I've learned a lot about the importance of little touches in creating a believable scene. That, and he taught me that 99 times out of 100, the build up to the final climactic encounter in a book or series is far, far superior to the actual encounter itself.

Nytewalkyr said...

I remember you going on about Snowcrash. I remember trying to read it once, but I don't think I ever finished it. I'll need to give that another go.

I have to agree with the Shannara series. I picked up Sword during 7th grade and while the beginning was a bit slow, it definitely picked up. Elfstones is still by far, my favorite. Even minor characters were given this sense of gravitas that most people can't pull off.

I'd also suggest two others.

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) - I first read when I was roughly 12. By the end of that book, realizing that both he and I were about the same age .. completely blew my mind. I've read it easily 5 or so times since. It's companion book Ender's Shadow is also worth reading. It's the same story as Game, but from a different characters perspective. The rest of the series, I'd skip. They got incredibly preachy.

Heroes Die (Matthew Woodring Stover) - I was older when I first read it .. but it's one of the rare books that really grabbed me and made me just want to keep reading it. That's pretty rare. When his characters fight, you get a sense of actually being there that I've not often found with other writers. Elfstones did it to a degree, but those were large scale battles. Heroes Die is much more .. personal. The follow up, Blade of Tyshalle is okay .. but it's not as good as the first one. The ending was good, but it ended up feeling like they were just going through the motions to get there.

I'll toss in one more for good measure. Shogun (James Clavell) - I've read this book probably 15 times. The way he wrote the Toranaga character was masterful. Half the time you think he's just insane, the other half .. you think you have a glimer of what he's really doing .. half of THAT time, you're wrong. In the end, I found myself amazed that it all came together the way it did.

Nytewalkyr said...

Another series I thought of right after posting. Ryan and I were big into the Shadowrun series of books while in High School. Some of them were weak .. but some of them were really outstanding. Mel Odom did several, and Michael A. Stackpole did a bunch that were quite good. "Wolf and Raven" is a collection of short stories Stackpole did that I really liked. Odom's series involving Jack Skater were just good. Granted, these types of books (along with the Star Wars X-Wing series, and the Timothy Zahn books) were more, lighter reading .. they still told compelling stories, and had characters I found myself caring about.